How do I create a class roster import file?
Importing class roster allows an administrator to bulk assign students to classes. In order to successfully import a class roster into the system, you must have setup your teachers, students, and created the classes. This article will go through the steps required to create the actual class rosters import file.
- Log into Sadlier Connect using your teacher or school administrator account. Teachers, the functionality described below may have been turned off for teachers by your school administrator.
- Select Manage Classes from the settings menu. This is located in the lower right-hand corner of your screen. It is the icon with two people with a gear between them.
- Select Import Class Rosters from within Manage Classes.
- Select the Download Class Roster Import Template link and save the file to your computer. Remember where you save the template file on your computer as you will need it in a couple of steps. The file will be named ClassRosterImportTemplate.csv unless you change the name when saving the file to your computer.
- Download the Class Roster Import Template file attached to this article or from Step 1 of the Import function under Manage Classes to your computer.
- Open up Microsoft Excel or similar spreadsheet application.
- Select File > Open from the menu.
- Select the template file that you downloaded to your computer. The file will usually be found in the downloads folder on your computer.
- Once you have opened your template file, your screen should look similar to the one below.You can expand the widths of the columns in the spreadsheet.
When you do you will see (Required) and (Optional) indicators after the column names indicating which columns are required and which are optional. See the Import File Column Information at the end of this article for a list of the fields, descriptions, and acceptable values.
- You will need to add a row for each student you want to add to the class providing the required information in the spreadsheet.
- You should delete the two sample rows provided to avoid them causing an error when you import your class roster file.
- When you have added a row for each student in the class(es), then you should save your class import file by selecting File > Save As...
- You will want to change the filename so that you do not overwrite the template file you have downloaded. When saving you need to change the Format to Comma Separated Values (.csv).
- You now have a class import file that is ready be uploaded to Sadlier Connect™.
For assistance importing a class import file, see the article titled, "How do I import a class roster import file?".
Import File Column Information
- Column A - Teacher User Name (Required): This must be the user name of a teacher loaded into the system.
- Column B - Class Name (Required): This must be a class that has already been created for the specified teacher in Column A.
- Column C - School PID (Optional - District Only): Do not place a value in this field.
- Column D - Student User Name (Required): This must be the username of the student you want to add to the specified teacher's class. The student username is the one you setup when you created your student accounts.
- You must not change the order of the fields provided in the template.
- You must use the acceptable values for columns where a list of acceptable values is provided.
- You must provide the required columns for each school administrator included in the import file.