How do I create a class import file?
Importing classes functionality allows an administrator to bulk create the classes in the system for teachers. After you create the classes, you will need to import class rosters or add students to the classes before your teachers can make assignments to their classes.
- Log into Sadlier Connect using your teacher or school administrator account. Teachers, the functionality described below may have been turned off for teachers by your school administrator.
- Select Manage Classes from the settings menu. This is located in the lower right-hand corner of your screen. It is the icon with two people with a gear between them.
- Select Import Classes from within Manage Classes.
- Select the Download Class Import Template link and save the file to your computer. Remember where you save the template file on your computer as you will need it in a couple of steps. The file will be named ClassImportTemplate.csv unless you change the name when saving the file to your computer.
- Open up Microsoft Excel or a similar spreadsheet application.
- Select File > Open from the menu within Microsoft Excel.
- Select the template file that you downloaded to your computer. The file will usually be found in the downloads folder on your computer.
- Once you have opened your template file, your screen should look similar to the one below:You can expand the widths of the columns in the spreadsheet.
When you do you will see (Required) and (Optional) indicators after the column names indicating which fields are required and which are optional. See the Import File Column Information below for a list of fields, descriptions, and acceptable values.
- You should delete the two sample class rows provided when you are done so that these classes are not created in your account.
- You will need to add a row for each class you want to create in Sadlier Connect.
- After adding a row for each class, then you should save your class import file by selecting File > Save As...
- You will want to change the filename so you do not overwrite the template file you have downloaded. When saving you need to change the Format to Comma Separated Values (.csv).
It is critical that you select the correct file format, Comma Separated Values (.csv) when saving your file.
Failure to do so will generate a file that will not be able to be loaded into Sadlier Connect
- You now have a class import file that is ready to be uploaded to Sadlier Connect.
For assistance importing a class import file, see the article titled, "How do I import a class import file?".
Import File Column Information
- Column A - Action (Required): This column tells the system what it should attempt to do with the row of data in the file. The value "A" should be used when trying to add a class to the system. One would set to this value for the first time classes are being uploaded into Sadlier Connect. The value "U" should be used when you want to update an existing class account in the system.
- Column B - Class Code (Optional): This is an informational field that can be used if you have a specific class code for tracking classes in your school. It is not a code that would be used by students or other users, it is strictly informational in nature.
- Column C - Class Name (Required): This is the name of the class that will be used in the system. It will be used by administrators, teachers, and students as they access information related to the specified class.
- Column D - School PID (Optional - District Only): Do not place a value in this field
- Column E - Teacher UserName (Required): You must provide a teacher username that exists in your Sadlier Connect account. If the teacher username does not exist, you will not be able to add this class when importing your file.
- Column F - Grade (Optional): This is a field to specify the grade level of the class. The acceptable values are: K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.
- Column G - Subject (Optional): You can provide a subject area of your class if applicable. The acceptable values for this column are Math, ELA, Science, Social Studies, and Other.
- You must not change the order of the fields provided in the template.
- You must use the acceptable values for columns where a list of acceptable values is provided.
- You must provide the required columns for each school administrator included in the import file.