How do I create a school administrator import file?
Importing school administrators is one of the ways to add additional school administrator accounts to your account. School administrator accounts have access to additional capabilities that teachers do not have access to. These features include the ability to set school settings as well as some additional reports along with the ability to see across teachers from a reporting perspective. One should limit the number of school administrator accounts created for their school to those that need access to these additional capability.
Most schools will only need to add an additional school administrator or two. In these situations, it is probably easier to go into School Admin Management and select "+ Add School Administrator". This will bring up an entry form to add the school administrator accounts. In the event one needs more than a couple of school administrators added to their account, they can use the import feature provided. The steps below explain how to create an import file for bulk loading of school administrator accounts.
- Download the School Admin Import Template file attached to this article or from Step 1 of the Import function under Manage School Administrators to your computer.
- Open up Microsoft Excel or similar spreadsheet application.
- Select File > Open from the menu.
- Select the template file that you downloaded to your computer. The file will usually be found in the downloads folder on your computer.
- Once you have opened your template file, your screen should look similar to the one below:
You can expand the widths of the columns.
When you do you will see (Required) and (Optional) indicators after the column names indicating which columns are required and which are optional. See the "Import File Column Information" below for a list of the fields, descriptions, and acceptable values.
- You will need to add a row for each student that you wish to add to Sadlier Connect providing the required information for each student included in the spreadsheet.
- You should delete the two sample school administrator rows provided when you are done so that these school administrator records are not created in your account.
- When you have added a row for each school administrator, then you should save your school administrator import file by selecting File > Save As...
- You will want to change the file name, so that you have the template file for future use if needed.
It is critical that you select the correct format when saving your file. Failure to do so will generate a file that will not be able to be processed by Sadlier Connect.
- You now have a school administrator import file that is ready be uploaded to Sadlier Connect.
For assistance importing a school administrator import file, see the article tilted "How do I import a school administrators?".
Import File Column Information
- Column 1 (Action A/U) is a required field. This column tells the system what it should attempt to do with the row of data in the file. The value "A" should be used when trying to add a school administrator record to the system. One would set to this value for the first time the school administrators are being uploaded into Sadlier Connect. The value "U" should be used when you want to update an existing school administrator record in the system.
- Column 2 (Username) is a required field. You must supply a user name for each school administrator in your import file. Your user names are unique to your school organization, so you will not encounter the issue that the user name has been used by someone else and you cannot use it. Typically, the user name is the administrator's first initial followed by their last name. You can use whatever convention you desire, though it is recommended to be consistent convention across usernames. The user name provided in this column will be what the school administrator uses to log in to the system.
- Column 3 (Password) is a required field. You must supply a user name for each school administrator in your import file. We do not enforce certain password lengths, though it is recommended to follow good practices about passwords. School administrators have the ability to change the password on their account.
- Column 4 (First Name) is an optional field. While this field is optional, it is highly recommended that you provide a first name for your users. It could also be a first initial, but you want something that will easily help you identify the students in the system.
- Column 5 (Middle Name) is an optional field. You can provide the school administrator's middle name or initial in this field.
- Column 6 (Last Name) is an optional field, though it is highly recommended that you provide this information for your school administrators.
- Column 7 (Email Address) is a required field. You will be required to provide an email address for school administrators. The email address must be unique for the school administrator. It is recommended that you use the school provided email address for the administrator. This email address is only used for system notifications as well as to allow administrators to recover their password should they forget it.
- Column 8 (Status) is an optional field, though if not provided the system will use the value "A". This means that the school administrator account will be activated or enabled within the system. The value "I" can be used to inactivate or disable an account. When an account is disabled the user will no longer be able to log in to the system.
- You must not change the order of the fields provided in the template.
- You must use the acceptable values for columns where a list of acceptable values is provided.
- You must provide the required columns for each school administrator included in the import file.